Zambians are not lazy, protests Dorothy Mulwila

 

By Derrick Sinjela and Fulman Mukobeko

Local contractors are not lazy, protests Zambia Association of Women in  Construction(ZAWIC) President Dorothy Mulwisa.

 

And Mrs.  Mulwisa says local contractors have been given a raw deal by the Zambian Government, making Chinese peers to  dominate  public contracts and jobs in the construction industry.

 

Speaking during the Policy Monitoring Centre for Research (PMCR) and People’s Republic of China Infrastructure Development  Symposium at Taj Pamodzi Hotel in Lusaka, convened by PMRC Executive Director Bernadette Deka and Chinese Ambassador to Zambia, Yang Youming, Mulwila said local contractors are as  hardworking and diligent as Chinese countaparts.

 

She was responding to Engineer Earnest  Nshindano who said  Chinese  constractors are very effective and  have resources, sufficiently enough to  run the project smoothly as scheduled.

 

Engineer Nshindano said Chinese work long hours and finish projects  at  supersonic speed thus clouding out local contractors.

 

But during a talk moderated by Private Sector Development Programme (PSDP) Director Yusuf Dodhia,  Mulwila said local contractors have a burning passion for work but that  they have been given a raw deal by successive Zambian Governments.

 

She bitterly complained that the ninety-five per cent (95%) infrastructure development contracts for local contractors have been taken over by foreign contractors, due to grading, leaving a paltry  five percent (5%) to Zambians.

 

Mulwila said ZAWIC has since  petitioned the Roads Development Agency (RDA) and National Road Fund Agency (NRFA) to at least give 20% contracts to locals but nothing has been done as at Thursday 12th October 2017.

 

“Zambian contractors are not lazy. A person can not work from 08:00 hours hours to 22:00 hours. We are human and have to rest. We are very strong and capable of doing any project, but sidelined as we do menial jobs with questions. You find that 95 percent jobs are routine maintenance like bush clearing,” a tart Mulwila protested

 

“We do our best.  It is just that we have been given a raw deal. Our friends(the Chinese) are doing it because their Government gives them monetary resources and technology to run a projects without any impediments.

 

Mulwila said it is incumbent upon Zambian Government through Infrastructure and Housing Minister Ronald Chitotela to empower citizens and entrepreneurs with resources to effectively deliver assigned projects.

 

And Mulwila said  women, youth and the disadvantaged have been left out in the construction sector .

“The Zambia Public Procurement Authority (ZPPA) Act has set aside 20 per cent  jobs for women, youths and the disadvantaged but sadly  this is not implemented,” Mrs Mulwila said.

2 Responses to "Zambians are not lazy, protests Dorothy Mulwila"

  1. begrix   October 13, 2017 at 2:50 pm

    MUM bana Mulwila ala ichishinka chisuma, fwe bena zambia, we mus change our attitude. laziness epoyaba, and we must just accept it and change for the better.
    three years ago a zambian contractor was given a contract to build a police post , a year after handing over ama cracks muli building chipumu despite taking a year almost with full funding to build a 18m by 8m police post. certailnly, we cant compare nama chochoncholi

  2. Mike   October 16, 2017 at 3:58 am

    The issue at hand is quite complex.
    1. The zambian construction sector has seen an influx of companies owned by political cadres and government officials most whom are not totally commited to the business but think it is the quickest way to make easy money which is a wrong. As such money’s for the project have been misapplied to luxury personal items at the expense of the material purchase leading to workers lazing around as they would sometimes have nothing to do on site.
    2 .lack of payment by government or any other client has also made our Zambian contractor look like he can not perform but in this case it is normally the government to blame.

    3. Bad work attitude is in all government and public institutions just as it is in construction . The problem is also applicable to private entities such as bank employees .
    It is a national problem.