PRESS STATEMENT No. 48 OF 2017 ISSUED ON 25/07/2017: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
1. The Patriots for Economic Progress (PeP) has noted the statement issued by the Catholics Bishops earlier today after they met with the Republican President at State House. In their Statement, the Catholic Bishops advised Zambians to be patient with the process of dialogue as it would take time to mediate and deliver messages between President Lungu at State House and the UPND leader at Mukobeko Correctional Facility.
2. As Patriots for Economic Progress (PeP) we are concerned that the approach that has been adopted by the Catholic Bishops so far, is not effective and will be unlikely to yield the desired results within a reasonable period of time. Firstly, as PeP, we believe that the mediation should be conducted with both parties being President Lungu and Mr. Hichilema in the same room and not through a back and forth delivery of messages by their Grace, between Mukobeko and State House.
3. In this regard, the Patriots for Economic Progress (PeP) would like to reiterate our earlier call for President Lungu to consider putting Mr. Hichilema under house arrest so as to facilitate a face to face process of dialogue by the Catholic Bishops. This position of course assumes that President Lungu is serious about this whole initiative of dialogue by their Grace.
4. We wish to remind all parties to this process of dialogue that the nation has high expectations from them and they need to treat this process with the seriousness that it deserves.
5. Thank you and May God Bless our Republic and it’s People.
SEAN ENOCK TEMBO (SET)
PATRIOTS FOR ECONOMIC PROGRESS (PeP)